Here is a quick test video of the new Sony E 50mm f1.8 OSS with the Sony NEX 5N camera. We shot everything at f1.8 100 ISO with Tungsten White Balance. The manual focus is like waiting for a bus and the OSS is very quiet but does not perform as well as expected. The Sony 50mm f1.8 is fast and fairly sharp and will work well in a locked off position. However, I cannot recommend it for hand held video work. It’s just not there yet. We will get it outside for some exterior examples with higher f-stops.
A huge thanks to our model Tatiana Mariesa.
Here are the specifications from the Sony website.
- Aperture (Max.) : f/1.8
- Aperture (Min.) : f/22
- Filter Diameter : 49mm
- Lens Groups-Elements : 8 groups, 9 elements
- Minimum Focus Distance : 15.3″ (0.39m)
- AF for Movie Capture : Yes
- Angle of View : 32°
- Aperture Blade : 7 blades (Circular aperture)
- Dimensions (Max. Diameter x Length) : 2-1/2 x 2- 1/2″ (62x62mm)
- Direct Manual Focus : Yes
- Exterior Finish : Metal
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : 75mm
- Internal Motor : Yes (Stepping motor)
- Lens Weight : 7.25 oz (202g)
- Low Noise During Movie Capture : Excellent
- Maximum Magnification : 0.16x (APS-C)
- Mount Material : Metal